Summary: This position will work closely with Morgan Properties’ Design Director, to support the design needs companywide. Design projects include but are not limited to leasing centers, model apartments, lobbies, hallways and other common areas, clubrooms, fitness centers, other amenities, signage and exterior building enhancements for apartment & townhome communities located in Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey. This position may also support as needed, projects in neighboring states or remote locations.
The Design Associate position will require the employee to physically oversee current projects wherever they may be located, therefore a reliable vehicle for transportation is required along with a valid driver’s license. The Design Associate will be required to office from the Corporate Office located in King of Prussia, PA.
This position will ensure that the physical aspects of each assigned project meet the company’s established standards, in association with all applicable laws.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned:
- Provide overall general support to the Design Director and Regional Design Manager(s).
- Obtain pricing and proposals from vendor partners, complete administrative paperwork required to place orders.
- Monitor and track orders placed, communicate delivery timing and notifications with onsite team members. Facilitate returns & exchanges as needed.
- Coordinate with site and regional level staff for installations.
- Maintain & implement established design standards for signage, office presentations, flooring, paint, amenities, etc. and support the development and updating of these standards as needed.
- Attend site visits, assist with field measurements, photos and note-taking.
- Develop space planning concepts/floor plans. If candidate is not proficient in a design software, he/she will need to learn and master one quickly to be able to prepare these schematic designs.
- Support design presentations with specifications outlining furniture, fixtures, signage and accessories.
- Assist the Facilities & Design team members in preparing job specifications (construction documents) according to design plans, in order to procure bids and go to contract.
- When we have the need for outside design services, this position will support the Design Director in overseeing oversee these partners, to ensure projects are staying on budget, timely and progress is not being delayed.
- Work with third party architects, engineers, contractors, signage companies and municipal authorities as needed.
- Maintain project photographs, floor plan drawings and elevations, material selections, finishes, costs and other specifications for all projects. Create before & after project visuals.
- Interface with manufacturer & vendor representatives to maintain literature and samples. Research new vendor partners and participate in meeting presentations when applicable.
- Assist in design research for new product trends
- Perform essential job duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to communicate with others effectively, both orally and in writing, in a professional and competent manner. Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Team-oriented and adaptable. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Self-directed but asks questions when necessary to learn and problem solve.
- Demonstrates attention to detail and excellent follow through.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget;
- Interpersonal skills; Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Cost Conscious; Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Dependable, follows instructions and responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Punctual, is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university or technical School; or four (4) or more years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in interior design, multifamily, senior living, student housing and/or hospitality a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Working knowledge of CAD, Sketch Up, Revit and/or 3D Modeling software is preferred.
- Vehicle for transportation and a valid Driver’s License.